Sunday, May 07, 2006

New poetry

My creative writing class is now doing a poetry unit (I have not written poetry for, oh, maybe 30 years?)... here are a couple of my first attempts:

Passport

Well worn pages,
Grey crease on a blue folded cover,
Embarrassing photo.
Like an ancient roadmap
Expressions of my wanderlust
As solid occurrences in time.
My passport lets me avoid my life.

---*---*---*---*---

Gone

You were sitting in the noisy restaurant
stabbing at noodles in your soup when you tried to tell me;
our conversation wandering aimlessly,
darting over,
under,
and around
what really needed to be said.
“It’s a great opportunity”
“It’s what I really want to do”
You looked into my eyes for confirmation…
But I was already gone.

2 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

Rhonda: These are very good.

"My passport lets me avoid my life" and "But I was already gone" are very powerful lines. Well done.

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Freeing and wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home