Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Avebury Stone Serpent

When this whole thing started, the Standing Stones tour,
I was searching around on the net among my favourite links,
looking for something, I know not what. I have an obsession
with lost things, and finding answers. Below is a link of
one man's impression of some stones, and his vision of
what they looked like. They are now lost to us,
lost to the world. There were times when the
Serpent vibrated on the earth, and was sacred. These
are not new things, but very old, and I like to look into
the origins of things. Being on this road made me dig up
the link and lay it out like a map, put my magic
spectacles on, and look at it again with new eyes. Actually,
I can't conceive of it being there, this amazing thing, and
I am struck with the feeling that I am sad of its passing.
I often get this feeling of "What if" and it always gets me
thinking. Now, on this road, I understand things about
serpents I never knew before. Being near these things,
the fascination that they once existed, makes me look
at the world with new eyes. I was terrified of snakes,
and had no idea what to do about them, but now it is
a different thing. I am wary of them, and give them
their space and better understand them now. Once I was
within a foot of a large snake, and was amazed as it did not
move and made no effort to strike me in any way. It was
like a frozen moment, one of the stillest moments I have
ever had. Again for me the subject is fear and superstition.
I feared what I didn't understand.
Avebury Serpent, Britain - link:
(Scroll down to the middle and see the lost formation.)
copyright Monika Roleff 2006.

3 Comments:

At 5:38 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

So good! Loved your post too. Seems there is so much to learn -- every day something new:-)

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

What fabulous material and an outstanding resource. Brilliant Monika.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Cheers Heather. I am mystified, needless to say:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home