Saturday, May 06, 2006

Land of the Standing Stones - The Welcome

I walk slowly in the moonlight, with the Standing Stones on my left, shielding me, then revealing me as I pass each one. The path ahead of me looks like a never-ending, wide, zebra crossing. I feel so calm as my bare feet touch on the cool earth. I try to dig my toes in but the ground is too hard. I don't mind. The cool air is so refreshing after such a hot day and I look up at the stars never wanting this feeling to end. The Stones are singing and whispering, even though there is not even a light breeze. I like to think that this particular song they're singing is just for me at this very moment. This is something I would never have done at home. Walk at night, in the moonlight, bare-footed, alone and wearing this simple, thin summer dress? Never. I wouldn't even consider it. But this Land is changing me in subtle ways. Ways that only my soul mates could discern.

Now I realise that maybe I've stayed out too long. I'm starting to see things. Up ahead, walking towards me in time with my own footsteps, is what must be an apparition. As she walks nearer I can see the serene smile on her face and despite my apprehension a matching smile steals across my own face. My feet are moving of their own accord now but I feel shy under her direct stare. We are now face to face and the smell of her faint, flowery perfume calms any fears I had. Her eyes are a soft, kind, confident, brown. They search my face questioningly and then as if she has now seen what she came to see, her smile widens and then she turns around and walks back the way she came. She never looks back at me but her perfume follows me back to my wagon and I feel safer than I've felt in a long time. There is another feeling there as well but I can really place it. As I sit on my bed and ponder this strange encounter, I try to recall what she looked like but I can only remember her eyes, her smile and her scent. As I snuggle underneath the thin covers of my bed, I finally realise what that other feeling was. It was a feeling of absolute acceptance and welcome.

2 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

This is such a peaceful description of a moment. Magical to read.

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Now I was reading somewhere that rocks sing. I think it was in 'Cosmic Mother'. Anyway Stacey I found this whole piece affirming and uttering reassuring. I know that, although there may be some adventures and close encounters, I have bought people to the very safest of places.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home