Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Sleeping, Cinders And Co.


When I read the "Myth to Live By" prompt, I immediately got confused. I couldn't locate just one, but many. Sometimes I have been Cinders, doing the sweeper work and sorting through the ashes. Sometimes I have become aware parts of me were totally Sleeping, waiting to be awakened. Sometimes I am like Jack, daring up the beanstalk to take what's mine back from the Sleeping Giant. Go figure. I must be confused, because life wasn't meant to be like that, or was it?

Sometimes I am facing something new, and again pull back into Hansel and Gretel, daring the journey through the forest to meet the olden day witch in the sugar house. And sometimes I am like Snow White, taking notice of the poison apple, when I know I ought not. I have heard tell that myths are shifting, changing, evolving things. These myths are also captivating, showing me where I have been, and where I am going. Backwards and forwards, all the time, like the thread through a loom until it is done. Confusing at the time maybe, but should make sense in the end, I guess.

copyright Monika Roleff 2006.

3 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Just loved this Monika and the apple is an absolute stunner.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

The mythic truth is the whole truth, so says P.L.Travers. Myth is the concordance of life's meaning, the story behind the story, so says Caitlin Matthews in her daily meditation for April tenth. Myth, to my thinking is the story--myth has its source in reality, therefore is the reality.

Lovely work, Monika.

Vi.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

It's fresh yesterday, Heather!

Vi I have read a fair bit of Caitlyn and John Matthews, and I would agree with you there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home