Monday, April 10, 2006

Bound Up

Friends, I've made myself crazy already and we haven't even gone anywhere yet on the journey. When I got the first note about the medicine bag, I went nuts. "Oh, I know the perfect bag to knit," I thought. "I can do it quickly." So, I've obsesses over that for a week now. And today, finally I finished it, but because it was the first one for me, a prototype, let's say; it isn't what I want.

And I've done the same thing with the contents of the bag... I keep thinking "What can I include?" What's special enough to go in a bag on a journey to the land of the standing stones? Dang. I'm overwhelmed with the things I want to include... mostly because I want to take everything.

But a medicine bag, a bag of talismen isn't supposed to be a carry-all, a check in bag at the luggage rack. It's supposed to be the bits and pieces of the world that make things magical, electric, for me. And so the bag doesn't need to be huge. And the things inside can't be everything that's important to me.


I sit here, with my creativity bound up, wondering what to take and what I will carry it in.

This is how it is with my writing. I get bogged down in the details, the planning, and I can't move forward because I am planning, detailing.So tonight I will collect my talismen as if the house is on fire and I have to grab those things that save me creatively. They may be carried in a paper sack for now, but it doesn't matter, does it, as long as I have them with me.

3 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

I like the idesa of grabbing stuff at the last minute - I think that calls on instinct which is a good thing. Don't sweat it, just wing it.

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

We always want to take everything! It's a girl thing, I think:-)

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Don't get too bogged down Kim. Just go with the flow. I really would love to hear more about that medicine bag.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home